Platform: Switch, Xbox, PC, PS4, PS5, Mobile
Release date: July 29, 2021
Developer: CyberConnect2
Publisher: CyberConnect2
Genre: RPG
Battle System: Turn-based
Difficulty: Easy
I heard a lot of good things about this game and I finally played it myself. I liked setting and story here: you play as bunch of kids whose village get attacked by Berman Empire. Empire forces kidnapped all adults from village while kids managed to hide during attack and, with guidance of mysterious voice from radio, found a giant tank Taranis. So now with the help of Taranis children are fighting empire in order to free their parents.
There's little to no exploration here. Taranis always moves forward but you have to choose a path at crossroads: the more difficult path, the more exp and rewards you get. Sometimes you find ruins which you can explore for extra materials.
Battle system is turn based. Up to six characters fight in battle at once: three are attackers using Taranis's weapons and skills and three on support providing buffs. There's three weapon types: cannons deal a lot of damage but have low accuracy, machine guns have low damage but high accuracy making them good for airborne enemies and grenade launchers which have balanced stats. Each enemy have weakness you can exploit to delay their turn. If during boss battle you take severe damage you can use you ultimate weapon: Soul Cannon. It will instantly defeat boss but you have to sacrifice one of your characters to use it. Of course in order to get best ending you have to never use it yourself, but still it's going to be fired two times in story: first time during tutorial (this shot won't be count) and second at the last boss (this one counts but you won't lose any chars). I also had dummy soul which can be used to fire Soul Cannon once for free but I never used it.
While gameplay was fun and the game itself was pretty easy, some enemies were too tanky and battles felt too long and repetitive. I almost always chose hardest possible route and had (almost) no problems getting through. There's also very little enemy variety, you'll see last unique enemies in game maybe in chapter 7, all others are stronger recolors. Even bosses have this problem. One of bosses uses tank similar to first boss and you fight her twice without any changes. Some bosses are just normal enemies with higher stats but the biggest offender of this is the last boss. You'll fight him at chapter 10 first and then at the end. And both this fights are almost identical, second time he can summon orbs but I don't know what do they do as I destroyed them with a single aoe attack immediately.
Final stats:
Game playtime: 16h 42m
Total playtime: 4d 4h 35m





No comments:
Post a Comment